Friday, September 12, 2014

Something new.... (A head start on Christmas!)

It's never too early to start on Christmas cards, especially when you have a delicious assortment of new products to play with! I purchased the Festival of Trees bundle from the current holiday catalogue: I love sets that have punches to match: it makes creating matching products a snap and I plan to let the kids use it to make favours for their friends.

Details for making the cards and a list of materials used are listed below.

Thanks for looking!






For the Soft Sky card above, I cut two framelits from very vanilla card stock. I distressed the edge of the larger one using my favourite (and free!) tool: my fingernail! I then applied silver glitter glue to the edges.
On the smaller framelit, I stamped my greeting with Soft Sky and used Island Indigo and Lost Lagoon for the tree image. I punched the tree using the new tree punch and dazzling diamonds glimmer paper. I foam mounted this to the largest framelit, then foam mounted the smaller framelit on top. In total there are two layers of foam so it is quite a thick embellishment. I used hot glue to attach a bow made from seam binding ribbon.
Finally I threaded a crystal button with linen thread which I tied in a bow and then hot glued this to the ribbon before attaching the entire piece to a Soft Sky base.



The Very Vanilla card above is double mounted on a Lost Lagoon base for a decadent feel. I distressed the edges and stamped the trees in Soft Sky gently over the base, stamping off for a faded look.
The image and greeting is stamped on the framelit die cut using Island Indigo and Soft Sky. I distressed the edges and applied a thin layer of silver dazzling details before foam mounting it to the card for extra dimension.
I used seam binding ribbon for the bow as it creates a soft, flowing effect. I like to use hot glue (sparingly) when working with my 3D elements: it dries almost instantly which is wonderful when you're impatient like me! I gently curled the ribbon and applied small dabs of glue to give a feel of movement to the card. I attached a snowflake embellishment (back to front) using linen thread.
Finally, I added tiny, random dots of dazzling details to give the effect of snow.


My husband has never understood using the greeting 'Noel' for a Christmas card: he has only known it as a man's name. He thinks he is quite the comedian as I show him my work. 
'Oh a card for Noel,' he says. 

He's no fun :/


Materials Used:

Stamp Sets: Festival of Trees (Holiday Catalogue), Greetings of the Season (retired)
Cardstock: Lost Lagoon and Soft Sky for card bases, Very Vanilla, Dazzling Diamonds Glimmer Paper (Punched Christmas Tree)
Ink: Island Indigo, Lost Lagoon, Soft Sky
Dies/Punches: Labels Collection Framelits, Tree Punch (Holiday Catalogue)
Ribbons and Trims: Very Vanilla Seam Binding Ribbon, All is Calm Snowflake Embellishments (Holiday Catalogue), Vintage Faceted Designer Buttons, Linen Thread
Other: Dazzling Details in Silver Sparkle, Foam tape, Hot glue

No comments:

Post a Comment